Monday, April 16, 2012

Learning Styles

I have always thought of myself as visual rather than auditory or kinesthetic.  I have a difficult time listening to someone and trying to picture what they are saying.  However, if I see an image, ideas make much more sense.  I also am able to visualize ideas that are written.  Strategies that I found effective were outlining lectures (thank you to my 7th grade social studies teacher for showing us the proper way to outline) and making flowcharts (especially for my science classes). 

My multiple intelligence profile was
LinguisticLinguistic=2626
MathematicsMathematics=3333
Visual/SpatialVisual/Spatial=2323
Body/KinestheticBody/Kinesthetic=2828
NaturalisticNaturalistic=2929
MusicMusic=1111
InterpersonalInterpersonal=2424
IntrapersonalIntrapersonal=2323
I was not surprised by most of it.  I have NEVER been musically inclined.  I was surprised by how high the body/kinesthetic was. I am not at all coordinated and don't do well in sports.  However, I do like to do experiments and hands-on work which may have helped offset these factors.  I was also surprised the visual was not higher. 

Strategies that have been less effective for me are straight lecturing.  I tend to tune out very quickly unless I'm taking notes.  However, even then I find it difficult to take notes if some sort of visual is not available (such as a PowerPoint slide of what is being discussed). 

Since you can't incorporate all learning styles all the time, I think it's important to consider your students.  Most likely they will be visual learners since the majority of the population is.  Therefore, teachers need to cater to them.  It is also fairly easy to combine visual and auditory teaching methods.  Teachers should also "mix-in" kinesthetic approaches, particularly for abstract concepts that they foresee their students struggling with.

No comments:

Post a Comment